In mid 1950's Graham Griffith, John Spielman , Stephen Thomas and W. Morley Burry used to play bridge in a house on 41 Oakfield Road, just off Whiteladies Road. It was run by a lady as a business. She was charging them too much for the use of the premises. So they moved, with many others, to Aces Bridge Club.
Graham Griffith was the driving force behind the BBC being formed. He, John Spielman, Stephen Thomas and others loaned or donated money to the new club and subsequently bought the lease for the new premises on The Promenade in Clifton (close to the Mayor's residence) and registered it as Bristol Bridge Club. Graham was the first chairman of the club 1958-1960.
In the early 80's, they were approached by the landlords to see if they would sell the lease as they had a buyer for the whole building. The lease still had 7 years to run so they were in a strong position to get a good deal. After finding new premises it was put to the members at an EGM. Only a few did not like the idea mainly because it was "Hotwells " and not Clifton. They raised extra money by way of loans/ gifts from members and a bank loan.
After many months searching for new premises and further negotiations, they bought the lease of the present building in March 1981. Many members gave their time to get the building in shape. It took around six month to get the place ready to be used as Bridge Club. So in November 1981 they moved from The Promenade to Grenville Hall, Oldfield Road, our present premises (this was done over one weekend).
This building was previously used as a printing works, and store for printing materials.